GEM A DIPLOMA PROGRAM
This Diploma course leads to the Diploma in Gemmology qualification and FGA membership.
DIPLOMA PROGRAMME CONTENT
This course has two components – Theory and Practical
- Theory Course Content
- Complete syllabus for Founadation Certificate Course
- Diploma Course Coverage
- The nature of gem materials, their origins and occurrence
- Structure and properties of gem materials
- Colour and optical effects in gem material
- Optical properties; uses in gem testing
- The electromagnetic spectrum; uses in gem testing
- Visible spectrum and the spectroscope
- Non-optical properties; testing techniques
- Magnification techniques; internal and external features
- Fashioning of gemstones
- Artificial, composite and imitation gem materials (simulants)
- Treated gem materials and methods of treatment
- Description of gem materials of inorganic origin
- Description of gem materials of organic origin
- Gem materials in this course and examination
- a. Inorganic gem materials:
Andalusite, apatite, beryl, calcite, chrysoberyl, coral, corundum, cubic zirconia, diamond, diopside, feldspar, fluorite, garnet, glass (natural and artificial), gypsum, hematite, iolite, jadeite, lapis, lazuli, malachite, synthetic moissanite, nephrite, opal, peridot, pyrite, quartz, rhodochrosite, rhodonite, synthetic, rutile, scapolite, serpentine, sinhalite, sodalite, spinel, spodumene, steatite, strontium titanite, tanzanite, topaz, tourmaline, turquoise, zircon.
b. Organic gem materials:
Amber, copal, coral, ivory, jet, tortoiseshell, pearl, shell.
- Practical aspects
- Use of 10x lens and microscope for the observation and identification of materials listed above; fashioned, rough, mounted, unmounted, natural, artificial, imitation, treated gem materials. Detailed use of the refractometer, polariscope, spectroscope, dichroscope, Chelsea colour filter, UV lamp and specific gravity apparatus.
Lectures and practical work go hand-in-hand
10 weeks of teaching
A person who has passed and obtained FGA Foundation Certificate.
Pounds 1,615 (for regular students) / 1,835 (for students in Exempt category) to Gem-A, London; Rs. 63,000/- to ACGS for teaching plus serive tax ( Refer to Fee Table for complete details)
FEE INDICATED IS APPLICABLE TO INDIAN PASSPORT HOLDERS / INDIAN NATIONALS ONLY
- Enrollment deadline-March 31, 2015 for June, 2015 Examination
- Enrollment deadline-October 31, 2015 for January, 2016 Examination
- Start date of class for June Examination – April 13, 2015
- Start date of class for January, 2016 examination – November 9, 2015