GEM A FOUNDATION CERTIFICATE PROGRAM
The Foundation Certificate Course makes up the first part of the Diploma in Gemmology qualification. The course ensures a working knowledge of the observation and testing of both rough and cut materials.
Working knowledge of the following equipments is included:
- 10x lens
- UV lamp
- Specific gravity measurement
- Chelsea Colour Filter
- The nature and origins of gems
- Crystalline materials
- Durability of gem materials
- Natural, artificial, imitation and treated gem materials
- Fashioning of gems
- Gems in Jewellery
- Optical magnification, the 10x lens and microscope
- Specific gravity
- Nature of light; its interaction with gem materials
- Colour of gems
- Non-visible radiation; X-ray, UV and infrared uses
GEM MATERIALS IN THIS COURSE AND EXAM
Amber, beryl (aquamarine and emerald), chrysoberyl, coral, corundum (ruby and sapphire), diamond, feldspar, fluorite, garnet, iolite, ivory, jadeite, jet, nephrite, opal, pearl, peridot, quartz, shell, spinel, tanzanite, topaz, tourmaline, zircon.
Additional gems described in the course:
Andalusite, apatite, calcite, diopside, glass, gypsum, hematite, lapis lazuli, malachite, pyrite, rhodochrosite, rhodonite, scapolite, serpentine, sodalite, spodumene, steatite, turquoise.
FOUNDATION CERTIFICATE EXAM
- Conducted at a designated centre informed by the Gem-A in Mumbai, Surat, and Jaipur.
DURATION OF THIS COURSE AT ACGS
- 8 weeks of teaching
- FGA Foundation Certificate in Gemmology
Lectures and practical work go hand-in-hand
Pounds 1010 to Gem-A, London; Rs. 50,000/- to ACGS for teaching plus service tax. ( Refer to Fee Table for complete details)
FEE INDICATED IS APPLICABLE TO INDIAN PASSPORT HOLDERS / INDIAN NATIONALS ONLY
- Enrollment deadline- March 31, 2015 for June, 2015 Examination
- Enrollment deadline-October 31, 2015 for January, 2016 Examination
- Start date of class for June Examination – April 27, 2015
- Start date of class for January, 2016 examination – November 23, 2015
10+2 /HSC Pass with sufficient proficiency in English. Previous knowledge of gemstones not required.